Mince pies? Mince pies? Mince pies?

We were begging, BEGGING for some mince pies.  That’s me, George and our friend Bruno who came to for our Advent afternoon with neighbours.                   

I tried taking it off Mave’s plate – and got told off.IMG_0559 I tried to get the crumbs off the table. And got told off.IMG_0563Then Tammy went to the kitchen and we followed her – but as she went back to the living room, she called us to follow her!IMG_0573I was all hopeful – IMG_0574We all sat at her feet waiting for her to share her mince pie. IMG_0585Why not, Mummy? Oh boo!IMG_0581Can’t believe it is already the third Advent – one more candle and it’ll be Christmas.

IMG_0593Happy to have shared it with Bruno.IMG_0590

May’s comment: Just a reminder for this time of year – excerpts from Dangerous Food for Dogs at Christmas of the two most common items during this time of year.

Grapes

Exactly why and how these are poisonous to dogs is unknown and the exact volume needed to cause symptoms is difficult to predict. Some dogs will eat one or two grapes and become seriously ill but others can eat many of them without apparent signs. The only way to be safe is to keep them out of reach of your dog.

Christmas Pudding, Christmas Cake and Mince Pies

These Christmas fancies are bad for dogs for a number of reasons:

Firstly – they are jam-packed full of current raisins and sultanas. These are all a variation on the ‘grape’ and as such have the same serious health risks. It is common for them to ingest far more ‘grapes’ in this form than they would fresh grapes because there are so many packed into these cakes and they are smaller.

Secondly – they are full of fat, suet etc which can often give them severe stomach troubles, vomiting etc but also, more worryingly high fat meals are one of the high risk factors leading to pancreatitis. This can be a very serious and costly disease to treat.

Thirdly – they are usually laced with large amounts of alcohol which can cause many of the symptoms of intoxication seen in people.

Chocolate coins and other choccy decorations

Most people are aware of the dangers for dogs from eating chocolate and take steps to avoid leaving any near their dogs. However, it is not uncommon for people to forget about the chocolate coins or decorations and leave them in an irresistible location. As well as the dangers of the chocolate the actual wrapping foil can be problematic as they work through the gut system.

The others include bones, macadamia nuts and alcohol.

1 Comment

  1. Judith Vogel

    Good to post the dangers and temptations.
    Last New Year’s Eve Bailey (Bennie’s best friend and Jenni’s dog) somehow got a hold of a chocolate bar and spent the night in intensive care under the watch of the Vet.
    It was life threatening and we were all relieved Bailey pulled through.
    It would have been a thousand. Times better if I kept better track of chocolate bar I had forgotten about and left it on the window seat under apile of clothes I had to take to the cleaners.
    Have a safe, jolly and Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.
    Love Judy, Jim Bennie, Jennie and Bailey

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.