For all dog lovers, every day is Dog Day! But in America, they’ve set aside the 26th August every year as National Dog Day. This is their 10th year.
What it serves to do is to create awareness about the horror of puppy farms and to encourage people to adopt from shelters. Since it started 10 years ago, it is estimated that they have saved the lives of 1 million dogs.
20 Ways To Celebrate!
1. Adopt a dog from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk a dog or play with a dog, clean cages or anything else they need help with.
2. Have a safety check of your home to make sure it’s safe for your dog and others.
3. Donate blankets, food and toys to animal welfare organizations.
4. Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells puppies.
5. Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of Puppy Mills and Gas Chambers in your state.
6. Order an adorable dog shaped flower arrangement from 1-800-Flowers.com and enjoy a 10% discount by using code DOG when placing your order!
7. Have a National Dog Day party and invite all your friends and their dogs!
8. Spend the day taking photos of your dog and then enter our photo contest! Maybe you could buy dog toys from Vet Products Direct, as during the photoshoot, you can use this to distract your pet and get some candid photos, as they’ll show your dog in his/her natural state.
9. Buy an official National Dog Day Tee here and sport it proudly!
10. Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by walking their dog.
11. Have a portrait painted of your dog to suspend the fleeting magic of dogdom.
12. Buy your dog a fun new dog toy….or two…or five.
13. Give your dog some fun exercise by taking him or her to a doggy play resort.
15. Look into getting vitamins and supplements for your dog to help their health.
16. Give your dog a massage or holistic spa treatment.
17. Teach your dog a new trick.
18. Buy your dog a fashionable collar and leash.
19. Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot.
20. It may not be their favourite thing, but take your dog to the vet to get a checkup and see if they need any medication, like something from a CBD for pets manufacturer. You can give them a treat after too!
21. Take your dog to the beach.
So what are you doing for me today, Mummy?
May’s comment: a hug and a coffee with me, a walk with Agnes to play with your doggy friends to celebrate National Dog Day, a special treat (TBD) and more hugs! Most of all just giving thanks for you in my life.
For more info: National Dog Day